Thursday, February 13, 2014

Emery Update

All is finally well with Miss Emery.  It was a long 6 weeks.  She has never had a set back that has lasted more than 1 to 2 weeks.  So this time period has been disheartening to say the least.  The root of her problem:  fluid in her ears.  Yes, fluid.  I don't even think the school transition played that large of a part in her set back.  I am kicking myself for not taking her to the doctor sooner.  So the story goes...

At the beginning of last week, Emery was still hitting herself, not feeding herself and completely distressed.  After talking with her therapist, we thought it might be a good idea to try to have an MRI of her brain taken.  Nobody knew for sure what was causing her distress or when it might end.  We had talked in the past about the MRI, but always decided to wait to see how she does with therapy.  Since we have very little information regarding her birth and it was an unmonitored pregnancy, we decided the MRI might give us a better picture of what is going on with our Emery.  If nothing else, it could potentially rule some things out. 

So with an MRI in mind, I called her pediatrician.  Since she was not sick, the pediatrician could not see her until April 4th!  All I could think of was Emery suffering for another 6 or 7 weeks.  That was not going to work.  At this time, Emery had been doing a weird little head shake about 5 or 6 times an hour.  It was a quick little shake, but she had started doing it about 4 or 5 days prior to me calling the doctor.  I mentioned it to her therapist.  Her therapist thought it could be slight seizures (scary) or maybe fluid in her ears.  I called the doctor back the next day with this latest observation and was able to get her in right away. 

The diagnosis:  Fluid in her ears.  The doctor said she could have had ear infections, which could have taken 6 weeks to clear up on their own.  After the clear up, fluid is common.  Ugh!  My poor little Emi.  I told the doctor I kept checking her temp during this set back and never once did she have a fever.  The doctor said some kids do not get fevers when they have an infection.  Apparently, Emery is one of those kids.  Hard lesson learned for me.  The next time Emery starts acting out of sorts, she is going to the doctor immediately.  It just happened the same week she switched schools and with no fever, I assumed her issues were related to the transition. 

So, to clear up the fluid, the doctor told me to give her Benadryl 3 times per day for 5 days.  At which time she would come back in for a follow up appointment.  By the time the 5 days were up, I could already see some improvement in her behavior.  The doctor confirmed that the fluid was basically gone, suggested keeping her on the Benadryl for 3 more days to be safe, and decided an MRI was probably not necessary. 

As of today, 4 days after her follow up, Miss Emery is 100 percent back to normal.  Excited to go to her new school and to therapy.  I had completely forgotten that prior to this lengthy set back, we were discussing a new discipline method for Emi.  She had been getting a little out of hand and doing a time-in in her favorite rocking chair was no longer very effective.  Well, back to normal also means that she has been a complete stinker for the past couple of days.  I am so grateful to have my happy, giggly, mischievous little girl back.  But, we will still be implementing a new discipline method!  Sorry Emery, no more getting a way with everything just because we missed you!

The Vandermeulen household is finally back on track.  Deep breath and sigh of relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment