Monday, March 25, 2013

Catch Up

Sorry I am so far behind on posting about Blake's surgery.  Picking up where I left off, Blake fell asleep the 1st night by 9:30.  Neither of us slept very well because the hospital staff had to come in frequently to check his vitals.  I did not perk up the next day until I finished my 3rd cup of coffee.  I thought Thursday would be a long day, but it went by so very fast.  With all of the staff check ins, two patient activities, and visitors, it was 8:30 pm before I knew it.

Blake was able to play pretend doctor with a doll with several other little patients on the main floor of the hospital.  All hospital supplies were provided, including IV's!  There was also a play session in the hospital playroom.  Blake played Wii on a giant movie screen.  A fun day for Blake.
Blake was visited by many people on Thursday:  Grandma Nadine,  Daddy, Ashley, Emery, Avery, The Jeffers' family (neighbors, friends, babysitters), Sam & family (a buddy from his class), and Aunt Missy.  Blake also was visited by Randy, a person who had his leg amputated a long time ago.  Randy talked to Blake about his prosthetic leg and showed it to him.  He even showed him how it comes off and goes back on. I was a bit concerned that this might scare Blake, but it actually had a positive effect on him.  Blake talked to Randy and seemed to perk up a bit after his visit.  Blake really perked up when his buddy Sam and favorite neighbor Sarah visited.  Sarah had him giggling in minutes!

Blake was visited twice on Thursday by physical therapy.  Blake was very scared and nervous to get out of bed.  He kept saying his leg was going to fall off.  The surgeon said this feeling is caused from a few things including swelling, the cast, and blood flow.  We told Blake that his cast cannot fall off because the doctor had a sling over Blake's shoulder holding the cast in place and his leg, of course, cannot fall off at all.  I don't think he believed us and would get very upset when he had to try to get up. We did get him up several times, with many tears, and had him take a few steps with a walker and get into a  wheelchair.

Blake's pain was well managed his entire stay and he was off IV meds by early Thursday morning.  They thought he could be discharged on Thursday, but because of his fear of getting up, we all decided it was best to stay until Friday and have PT work with him again.

Blake fell asleep around 9:30 Thursday night.  On Friday, PT came in and there were more tears.  There were also several tears over having his hair washed.  I guess he was just scared, but I am certain the entire 7th floor thought he was being scalped!    PT suggested we rent a walker and wheelchair for home because it may take a week or so before he can navigate his crutches.  So, we had the equipment delivered to the hospital before being discharged.  Blake was in great spirits his entire hospital stay, with the exception of getting up.

Daddy picked us up at about 3:15 Friday afternoon and we were home by 3:30 ish.  Blake kept asking all the way home if his cousins were going to be there when we arrived home.  He was so happy to see his 3 sisters, Conner and Avery, Grandma Susie, and Gracie, our dog. Conner even made him a Welcome Home sign.  Everything went well Friday night and Saturday.  Blake played a lot with his cousins. They had a blast pushing each other around in the wheelchair.  But after several crashes and two broken items, we decided our house couldn't withstand any more wheelchair rides!  By Saturday, Blake was getting around well using his walker and the wheelchair.  As the day went on, he didn't even want any help getting around.

At bed time Saturday night he grabbed his crutches to use to go back to his bedroom.  I asked him if he was sure he was ready, and he said "yes mom, I don't need no help".  After doing just fine on the crutches, he said he didn't want to use the walker or wheelchair anymore.  And he has not touched them since!  He even played outside today with the neighbors.  Right now he is down the street playing with Avery and he walked with his crutches all the way down!  I asked him if he wanted me to give him a ride and I got an eye roll and "I can walk mom".

So much for needing a wheelchair and walker for a couple weeks!  At least Emery is having fun cruising around the house in the wheelchair!  I am so very proud of my little guy.  He is one tough dude!

Now for some pictures:

Daddy and Blake on our way to surgery

Getting prepped for surgery

After surgery thumbs up

Cards from school friends

Ready to go home

Blake and Grandma Susie at home on Friday

1 comment:

  1. How is Blake? Hope he's healing well and learning to cope with the physical change.