Kids

Kids

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Blake

Yesterday was my first day home alone with the twins because Bruce had to go back to work. I was surprised at how well the day went. I also tried a new method with Blake to control his tantrums. I started the morning by teaching him 3 emotions: happy, sad, and angry. We looked at picture cards I made showing facial expressions for each of these emotions. Then we sang the "if you're happy and you know it song". We used stomp your foot for the angry emotion. We went over these several times. Every time he was about to have a tantrum (5 times), I would ask him if he was angry and make the angry face and stomp his foot for him. He would star to giggle then I would redirect him to an activity. Worked like a charm. Avoided all potential tantrums. Now each of the 5 "almost" tantrums were over being told no about something. I was concerned about not letting him get out anger related to grieving. When he becomes upset for no apparent reason, I think he is just sad and grieving. He has to get his feelings out in a safe way when grieving. So I was a bit worried that avoiding the tantrum didn't let him get any anger out. Well I didn't have to worry for long. This morning he had an hour long tantrum. Screaming, kicking, hitting, throwing things. I had all I could do to keep him from hurting himself. Then I accidentally scratched him on the cheek with my fingernail (while trying to keep him from hitting the wall with his crutch) and I think he thought I did it on purpose. I felt bad, but there was no way I could explain it to him. I will have to teach accident vs. on purpose at some point in the future. This child is so adorable and has such a fun personality. But when he is having a tantrum he is extremely difficult. I am praying he starts to accept "no" and his tantrums are fewer and less severe. Hoping for a better afternoon. By the way, his tantrum started because he wanted to go see Baba Susie (my mom) and I told him she was coming over later. That was it.

1 comment:

  1. Tammy,
    We are praying for you! I have contacted a few of my friends in the states that have adopted from outside of the US. I made them aware of your blog. My friend Renee Loux is an awesome woman of God and goes around the country as an adoption advocate. I know she probably has great resources for you and wisdom.
    I know in our circumstance I constantly referred to myself as a velvet wall. Soft but extremely firm. It takes alot of strength expecially for those that are so strong willed, but you cannot do it in your own strengh. They will wear you down. :D
    Be strong, be of good courage. God would not have called you and brought you this far without being with you all the way. You will begin to see more and more fruit as you already have begun to see.
    Again, we love you and are praying for you!

    ReplyDelete