Kids

Kids

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Day 5 in Bulgaria

Sorry I have not been able to give earlier updates.  It is Thursday evening and we are in Sofia, Bulgaria.  We spent the last 4 days in Kyustendil meeting and visiting our twins.  I cannot believe our visiting is already over.  It went by so very fast.  The twins are exactly what they appeared to be in all of the videos we received through AGCI.  Blake is very outgoing and extremely talkative!  He asks a million and 1 questions in 5 minutes!  He is very active and appears to be a happy 6 year old boy.  Emery is definitely more quiet and shy.  She is so beautiful.  She has fallen in love with Bruce.  On our last morning at the orphanage, she came in the room to greet us and ran directly into Bruce's arms.  I told Bruce he may end up having to take her to work with him after she is home!  The children are well taken care of at the orphanage.  They eat normal foods and are well loved by the staff.  They are very fortunate to be in a small orphanage where the ratio of caregivers to children is good.  The orphanage staff treated us so good - I took many pictures of the kids with the caregivers.  The twins have been with these people for most of their lives.  I know the pictures will be important to them as they grow up.  We were able to take the kids to the zoo one morning and to a wonderful park another morning.  They seemed to have warmed up to us easily.  But, I know the staff prepared them well for our visit.  By Wednesday, Blake was introducing us to everyone as his mama and daddy.  The staff told us that over the past year he as been questioning why he and his sister have not yet been adopted.  They finally were able to tell him that he has a family. 

I must say that even while driving to the orphanage the 1st day, it still seemed surreal to me.  After meeting the twins, reality definitely set in.  I started feeling very nervous about the challenges and changes that they would bring to our lives.  I know I have well prepared myself for their special needs and for the normal challenges of institutionalized children.  But, with all my preparation, I feel somewhat inadequate and overwhelmed.  I am praying for peace in my mind and heart in the coming months before traveling to pick up these precious children.  I trust that my prayers will be answered.

Bruce and I have enjoyed being in Bulgaria.  The food is wonderful.  Our coordinator/translator provided by AGCI has been beyond helpful.  We could not have asked for better guidance.  Tonight is our first night in Sofia.  It is a very big and busy city and it is so exciting to be here.  I will always cherish our experience in our childrens' birth country.  We plan on doing souvenir shopping tomorrow after applying for the VISA's.  Our flight for Grand Rapids leaves at 7 am Saturday morning.  We will be home by 10:00 pm that night.  I really miss the girls - we have talked to them a few times on the phone.  They are in good hands with my mom - thanks Susie!

It is getting late here, so I will sign off for now. 

4 comments:

  1. I totally understand the surreal feeling and I haven't even left yet to meet my girl. I figure it will start to hit me as I get closer to her. Glad to hear that you had a wonderful trip. Hope you plan on coming to the Bulgarian Adoptee's Reunion this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our son is in Kyustendil too. If you have a moment I'd love to chat with you. traci@ezpzpies.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. All your feeling are normal. After I met our son, I was having doubts too, just about the change in our family. Any time you give birth it brings change into the family dynamics. Adoption is the same! My husband spoke wisdom and truth to me so I wouldn't freak out. We are so blessed by our son. We are so close to one another. Are you going to the reunion in OH this summer for Bulgarian adoptees?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tammy, I came to your blog to check out the video, which I couldn't get to work and then I started reading what you wrote when you went to meet the twins. It is such an awesome thing that you are doing. What could be more important than providing two kids with a family!? I'm sure it is scary, but God will definately bless you and your family! I'm sure they will bring you so much joy! : )

    ReplyDelete