Kids

Kids

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

First Adoption Glitch - FBI Fingerprints

After waiting almost 6 weeks for our clearance letters from the FBI, we receive a letter indicating that my prints were too low quality to use.  Bruce received his clearance.  The problem with mine is my pinky finger virtually has no print.  The police officer where we had our prints taken said this is usually do to a severe burn at some point in  life.  I have never had a burn or any other injury to my pinky finger.  Nonetheless, no clearance letter.  I immediately contacted my case manager and social worker.  Apparently, this does happen on occasion.  There are a few options available and we are going with the best option according to the authorities in Bulgaria.  I have to have 4 sets of finger prints taken and forwarded to the FBI.  According to my case manager, as soon as the FBI receives the prints, they will process them.  Hopefully it will only add on another one to weeks to our process.  I really was concerned that we would have to wait another 6 weeks.  Thankfully, that is not the case.  I am praying this next attempt works.

At this point we have just about completed everything on our end.  Medicals are completed, education is almost completed (one more course), all forms have been filled out, signed, and notarized.  Our conference with our Family Education Coordinator from AGCI to discuss our transition plan for the twins is scheduled for tomorrow.  We have our home study scheduled to begin next week.  The home study should be finished in 3 to 4 weeks.  Providing I receive my FBI clearance letter, our next step will be to have the necessary paperwork apostilled.  At that point, our dossier will be ready to send to our agency.  Once the dossier is reviewed and approved by our agency, it will be sent to for translation and then forwarded to the Bulgaria Ministry of Justice.  Unfortunately, by the time it reaches this stage, it will be right during the summer slow down in Bulgaria (all of Europe).  This could easily delay processing for 2 months and probably will.  I am still praying we have the twins home by the end of the year.  Whether or not this is realistic, I do not know.  But, I can pray!

1 comment:

  1. Have you done your I800a? That takes the longest. Set backs are frustrating.

    ReplyDelete