Kids

Kids

Saturday, March 19, 2011

A Little Background

So, why adoption?  Adoption has been on my mind for a very long time.  We talked about it as a family several years ago when the girls were little.  But it really wasn't the right time for us.  International adoption required long travel times and we did not want to leave the girls for several weeks at a time.    

 
I continued to view adoption websites here and there, but we never really continued talking about it.  Eventually, I started doing some research on adoption from different countries.  I eventually stumbled on to Bulgaria.  Bulgaria required two short trips to complete an adoption.  This seemed like something we could do.  We began talking about adoption again.  I continued to research Bulgaria adoptions.  More and more I felt Bulgaria was the perfect country for us. Bulgaria has many (approx. 7,000) children in orphanages waiting to be adopted.  I really believe God was leading us to this country.


We finally started discussing the possibility of adopting two children from Bulgaria with our girls.  They were very excited, even after we explained the significant changes it would bring to our lives.  They definitely wanted to adopt.  Now it was up to Bruce and I to make a final decision.  We almost started the process about a year ago, but changed our minds for various reasons. 


I thought that was the end of it.  But I could not stop thinking about it.  I continued researching Bulgaria and praying that one day it would work out for us.  By the end of 2010, we were talking about it again.  I kept praying that we would make the best decision for our family.   

We finally decided to proceed in January.  By February we had filed our application with our agency and were approved.  Our next step was to have a beginning orientation with our agency and sign the final contracts.  We completed the orientations and sent the contracts and initial payment in last week.  We received our confirmation of acceptance into our agency's waiting child program yesterday.  Now, the journey begins....

No comments:

Post a Comment