- Travel - Bulgaria requires 2 trips. The 1st trip is about 5 days and the second trip is about 7 to 10 days.
- Time Frame - Bulgaria's time frame to complete the entire process is about 2 to 3 years. For Waiting Children, the time frame is about 1 year.
- Age - Bulgaria requires the adopting parents to be between the ages of 23 and 55.
- Children Available - Bulgaria orphans are available beginning at the age of 18 months. Older children and sibling groups are also available.
- Marriage - Bulgaria allows couples married for at least 9 months and single women to adopt. Adopting parents cannot have more than 2 divorces.
- Children in Home - Bulgaria requires adopting parents to have no more than 6 children already.
- Income - Bulgaria requires adopting parents to have a positive net worth and meet the U.S. poverty guidelines.
- U.S. Citizen - Bulgaria requires one of the adopting parents to be a United States citizen.
Saturday, March 19, 2011
Bulgaria Adoption Considerations
In considering international adoption, I came up with a list of criteria to help determine which country was right for us. Travel requirements and time frame were probably the most important items for us. Below is a list of important criteria and facts pertaining to Bulgaria Adoptions: